Empowering Students to Adopt Healthy Lifestyles
Inaugural Funding Opportunity—Second Round
The application deadline for our inaugural funding opportunity for the 2013-2014 school year has passed. Our second round of funding will support schools participating in the Presidential Youth Fitness Program for the 2014–2015 and 2015–2016 school years.* Applications will be accepted online from April 1 through April 30, 2014.
*This is a private funding program administered by the AAU, AAHPERD, NFFSN, and The Cooper Institute®, co-sponsors of the PYFP. This is not a government grant program. The availability and administration of this funding opportunity, including the selection of recipients and all other decisions of the funding program, are not endorsed by any federal agency or office. No federal funds are being used in or for the administration or awarding of this private funding opportunity.
What the Funding Covers
This funding opportunity supports participation in the Presidential Youth Fitness Program for a period of two years—providing eligible schools with 100% of the elements that make up the three core pillars of the Presidential Youth Fitness Program for Year 1 and 50% matching support for Year 2. For a school of 500 students, the dollar equivalent for funding is $1,402 for Year 1 and $526 for Year 2. Schools that are selected to receive funding will not receive a check to purchase materials or supplies. The core program elements, below, will be sent directly to the school from the supplier:
- FITNESSGRAM® assessment: Funded schools will receive one site license of the FITNESSGRAM/ACTIVITYGRAM® 9.x software1; annual access to the latest edition of the e-book version of the FITNESSGRAM manual, test administration videos, and cadences for tests (PACER, push-up, and curl-up); annual technical support for the FITNESSGRAM 9.x site license; annual web hosting by The Cooper Institute®; and the ability to print or email student reports. Please note that there are specific software needs that must be met in order for aspects of FITNESSGRAM 9.x software to function properly2.
- Professional development and education for physical educators: Physical educators will receive access to a series of self-paced, virtual training opportunities and web-based resources to facilitate successful program implementation.
- Awards and recognition for students: Schools will receive a quantity3 of Presidential Youth Fitness Awards (emblems and certificates) to present to students in recognition of their achieving the Healthy Fitness Zone® standard on at least five test items from the six fitness/health components.
What the Funding Doesn't Cover
These items are NOT covered:
- The staff time required by the school IT department to set up software in Year 1 (2014–2015)
- The purchase of instructional materials used to conduct the various tests in the FITNESSGRAM® assessment (see below)
- Substitute teacher costs associated with physical education teacher participation in professional development trainings
- A project manager nor a grant manager
Instructional materials may include gym mats, cones, scales, a CD player, a stop watch, a whistle, calipers, masking or athletic tape, and a sit-and-reach box. Instructional materials that may be used are dependent upon the test item offered and preference of the educator.
Eligibility and Responsibilities
1Human Kinetics is a third-party vendor of the FITNESSGRAM/ACTIVITYGRAM® software and related manuals, guides, and technical support.
2Browser requirements: Internet Explorer 7 or above; Firefox 2 or 3. Software does not support Safari nor Google Chrome. Connectivity, school use: T1 or fiber optic lines. We highly recommend a fast, secure, and stable connection. Otherwise, the user experience will not be optimal. Screen resolution: 1024 x 768. For FITNESSGRAM reports (generated as PDFs), schools and homes must have Adobe Reader 7 or above. If you're using Windows VISTA OS, you must use Adobe Reader 9.
3Quantity is 50% of student enrollment. Data indicates that approximately 40% (or less) of students participating in the FITNESSGRAM assessment achieve the Healthy Fitness Zone on five or more events. Extra awards can be kept by the school and used for following years’ implementation of the Presidential Youth Fitness Program.